I tore the picture out and promised myself I would paint it later. I finally pulled it out again on one of those snow days.
I had a hard time copying the shape of the cow's head, so I projected my reference onto an 11x14" canvas I had painted red. Somehow I'd forgotten that I'm afraid of the dark... I really don't love working with super dark values. I was kind of in trouble. Eventually, with the deadline looming, I sucked it up and painted myself a cow.
I knew I wasn't going to be able to copy the hedge in extreme detail, so I just kind of fudged it. I tried to add some of the same textures and values without painstakingly copying every leaf, every blade of grass... I think I have come a long way since I started painting ;)
Sorry for no in progress pictures...
|Here she is... a mildly curious british bossy;)|
1. Artists Develop Art Making Skills - I probably wouldn't ever tell you that painting with really dark colors is one of my skills. However, through this piece, I got a teeny bit better at that. I kind of figured out how to paint using "pretty dark" and "really dark" instead of "light" and "medium" and "almost darkish." I also got to work on using textures besides "fluffy" and "feathery," especially with the hedge.
2. Artists Take Risks - I didn't quite realize it at the time, but it was a big risk for me to pick a little picture of a dark cow to make a big ole painting out of. Once I realized how
3. Artists Solve Problems - I realized shortly after starting that I had a big problem... I tried and tried but I could not get the shape of the cow's head, especially her ears, onto the canvas. I decided to project the image onto the wall, prop up my canvas and trace the cow onto it. Then, I was having issues with the transparency of my paint. I couldn't get the green of the hedge to look right where it overlapped the blue of the sky I had already painted or the black of the cow that had to be there for the shape of the grasses to look right. With a whole lot of paint and a lot of random other colors mixed in, I finally got the green to cover what it needed to.
You can expect some more cows in the future :)